Melee in Delta hospital over death of four newborn babies

There was palpable pandemonium when four newborn babies suffered neonatal death, minutes after delivery at the Central General Hospital, Sapele, Delta State.

Not much is known about the cause of the babies death but sources who are familiar with the situation said there was no electricity and one doctor was allegedly inebriated.

The bereaved mothers gave birth last Thursday night/Friday morning and lost their babies in the labour ward.

Patients and visitors to the hospital, alleging negligence, took to protest in the premises, Friday morning, demanding that government intervenes and investigate the death of the infants.

A brother of one of the bereaved mothers, Mr Benjamin Ikeji, said his sister’s husband brought his pregnant wife to the hospital at about 5 pm on Thursday.

“When we brought her, the doctor told us my sister was not in labour yet and I waited till 10pm before going home. I called my sister this early morning, and she told me that the baby was stuck and the nurses told her they could do nothing since the doctor was not around”, Ikeji narrated.

“And when I came this morning, I met the doctor who told me there was nothing she could do since there was no light.

“I bought fuel for them and the next thing I heard was that my sister’s baby was dead and all the babies delivered that night died”.

Newton Oroba, who said his wife also lost her newborn after delivery at the labour ward in the hospital, same night, alleged the only doctor who was on duty that night was drunk.

“You could feel it from his breath when he came around 9pm, yesterday (Thursday), and when he left, he did not return”, Oroba stated.

He told Vanguard that when the nurses observed he was worried around 3pm, they told him they had called the doctor and he was not picking “only to tell me my baby was dead.”

A nurse, who craved anonymity, said the number of newborns said to have died was not true, adding, “Two died in their mothers’ wombs, while two infants died after delivery, it is not the doctor’s fault.”

Probed further on why the doctor was not around to attend to the women, the nurse kept mum.

Matters came to a head when, on sighting the said doctor in company of others, some patients and relatives of the bereaved confronted him, demanding an explanation for his absence that night.

Other medical workers on duty, on sensing trouble, took to their heels while the doctor escaped into one room and locked himself up.

The management of the hospital, however, drafted the police and vigilante men at about 10pm to calm the protest, but, a lawyer invited by one of the bereaved husbands said they would not let the issue lie low without taking action against the management.

The development paralyzed activities on Friday morning with the hospital main gate firmly padlocked while they left patients in wards unattended to.

The post Melee in Delta hospital over death of four newborn babies appeared first on NEWS.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.