Tragedy as Fire Guts Over 100 People’s Homes in Kwara

No fewer than 100 people have been rendered homeless while 44 rooms were destroyed on Monday in Megida Onikahun compound, Edun Isale in Ilorin South Local Government Area of Kwara State as fire gut the ancient compound and the market in the area.

According to PUNCH Online, four aged people were evacuated by some good Samaritans from the house.

The Kwara State Fire Service, however, said that no one was injured in the fire which lasted more than one hour before its men put out the raging fire.

Head of MediaStatePublicity of the state Fire Service, Hassan Adekunle, said the fire which started from a refuse dump in the morning was attended to around 11:08 am by men of the State Fire Service.

Adekunle said, “Kwara State Fire responded to a fire incident at Megida Onikanhun Compound, Edun Isale, Ilorin South Local Government area of Kwara State on Monday.

“The firefighters, upon arrival, found the entire compound and Edun Market engulfed in flames due to a late call. To enhance firefighting efforts, part of the fence was dismantled for better access.

“At 11:22 am, the message was sent to the Brigade Headquarters for additional manpower, and the proficient firefighters successfully brought the situation under control within an hour before completely extinguishing the fire.

“Investigation revealed that an unknown person had ignited refuse, initially mistaken for harmless smoke. Unfortunately, it had spread to the nearby compound, lamenting that the incident left over 120 occupants homeless, affecting 44 rooms and a mosque in the 75-room Magaji Onikanhun Compound. Fortunately, there were no casualties.

“The Federal Fire Service and officers from the Department of Disaster Management of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence and State Emergency Management Agency were present at the scene. NSCDC officers ensured crowd control to prevent potential looting, safeguarding both market goods and the firefighters.”

Adekunle, on behalf of the Director of the state Fire Service, Falade Olumuyiwa, condoled the Magaji Megida Onikanhun’s representative, Kuranga Adebayo.

Olumuyiwa urged the public to always play safe especially during this period of dry season and not to hesitate to call the fire brigade on time whenever there was any fire emergency in their areas.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *