Anambra: Owa Land is Not For Sale; Nimo Youths Declare

Nimo Youths under the aegis of the NTDU youth wing, have restated their disapproval towards apportioning and selling off of Owa land.

This was made known during a meeting organized by the town’s leadership, yesterday, May 27, 2023, at the Egwe Egwe Square, Nimo.

The youths, bearing placards that read: “Owa land is not for sale”, stated that the idea to sell off Owa land was ill-conceived and that such an act shows a high level of unthoughtfulness.

While explaining the history of Owa land, the Prime Minister of Nimo and the former Chief Judge of Anambra state, Hon. Justice Godwin Ononiba, affirmed that the land was initially occupied by Owa people, who were dissipated through conquest. He further stated that the land is the community’s property and it is at liberty to do anything it wishes.

Giving a rundown of the developments regarding the sale of Owa land so far, Barr Afuba said that only 7% of the land has been sold, adding that the remaining 93% is still awaiting buyers.

Speaking on behalf of the youths, Dr. Valentine Oliobi, reminded the leadership of the community of the documented agreements from the meetings held in previous years, which state inter alia that developing Owa land should begin from the boundaries and borderlines of the land, questioning while such agreement was not paid heed to and stressing the need to revisit those agreements.

He further stressed the need to halt the selling of the land until all fences are mended and all cracks are patched.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *